Built in 1996, the Oelwein Family Aquatic Center is super duper awesome!
Facility Phone Number: 319-238-8160
Opening Day for 2021: TBD
411 4th Street Northeast, Oelwein, Iowa 50662, United States
* Up to 5, $5.00 for each family member over 5
* Must live within the household
18+ years of age & up
All children under 7 years old must be accompanied by a responsible person at least 14 years of age
The Learn-to-Swim program gives adults, and children ages 6 months and older, the opportunity to learn to swim in a safe environment. The program is designed to allow students to learn at their own pace and master the skills at each level before attempting the next challenge.
Each level of Learn-to-Swim includes training in basic water safety and helping others in an emergency, in addition to stroke development. These lessons are designed to give students a positive learning experience.
If you are unable to determine what level your child is in please talk with a staff member before hand and they will assist you with the proper placement.
Level 1: Introduction to water skills: helps students feel comfortable in the water and enjoy the water safely.
Level 2: Fundamental Aquatics Skills: gives students success with fundamental skills
Level 3: Stroke Development: builds on the skills in Level 2 by providing additional guided practice.
Level 4: Stroke Improvement: develops confidence in the strokes learned and to improve other aquatics skills
Level 5: Stroke Refinement: provides further coordination and refinement of strokes
Level 6: Swimming and Skill Proficiency: refines the strokes so students swim them with ease, efficiency, power and smoothness over greater distances.
Level 6 is designed with “menu” options. Each of these options focus on preparing students to participate in more advanced courses, such as Water Safety Instructor and Lifeguard Training. These options include: Personal Water Safety, Lifeguard Readiness, Fundamentals of Diving, and Fit ness Swimming.
Red Cross Swim Lessons $30.00
Prefer a one-on-one private teaching situation? Private lessons are available for children and adults. Lessons consist of five (5) one-half (1/2) hour sessions. Private lessons must be scheduled through the Parks and Recreation Department located in Oelwein City Hall. Once registered, the Aquatics Manager will assign an Instructor. Goals and a lesson plan will be drafted based on the comfort level and swimming ability of the student .
Private Lessons $50.00
The Shark’s Swim Team is open to all area boys/girls age 4-18 with a basic ability to swim. Try outs are required for first time members. Sharks swimming is part of the Big Six Swim Club (BSSC), which is a USA Swim Team. Coaches work with swimmers to improve their skills in all four major strokes, free, back, breast & butterfly. At the same time coaches encourage an environment that not only promotes personal development but, encourages a sense of fair play within a competitive team environment.
Mon-Fri, 8:00 am - 9:00 am 12 &up
8:30 am - 9:30 am 9—11
9:00 am-10:00 am 8 &under
Practice times are subject to change and only held if temperature is 59F/14C at the Oelwein Airport by start of practice time.
Membership fee is $85 per student.
Make your special event more exciting with a pool party. Groups may rent the Aquatic Center for Private parties on Saturday mornings from 10:00 – noon and most evenings from 7:00 – 9:00 P.M. It’s a great idea for a birthday party, family reunion, and company get-togethers.
Pool Party Prices – Including Water Slide
Attendance 1 Hour 2 Hours
1 – 100 $130.00 $150.00
100 – 200 $170.00 $190.00
This program is designed to trim and firm the body, increase endurance and flexibility and enhance the cardiovascular system.
Monday thru Friday 12:00 – 1:00 P.M.
Fee: $3.00 admission or season pass.
Splash your way into shape with the invigorating low impact pool party. Get wet. Get down. Get fit.
Walk In Fee $5.00
Bring your dog to the last day of the season of the aquatic center. Dogs get the opportunity to run free, socialize and swim with other dogs and their owners. Dogs must be licensed with tags with the City of Oelwein.
Fee: $5 per dog and owner, additional swimmers $2.00
The following rules have been set up to ensure a safe, healthy and pleasant experience for all patrons. Please obey the following rules and treat the staff with respect. Those people that cannot follow and adhere to this established set of rules will be asked to leave and may be subject to loss of future swimming privileges.
1. Everyone must pay admission to enter the pool premises whether or not you actually get into the pool, i.e.: supervising young children or sun bathing.
2. Children six (6) years and under must be accompanied by a responsible adult (14 or older). Infants and toddlers who are not toilet trained must wear a swim diaper.
3. The Oelwein Family Aquatic Center is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
4. Stealing, fighting, abusive/inappropriate language, entering the facility without paying and any other related actions will not be tolerated and will receive punishment by law enforcement.
5. The Oelwein Family Aquatic Center is a Smoke-Free & Tobacco-Free campus. NO one will be allowed to smoke (including vapes) while on the facility.
1. All patrons must take a shower before entering pool.
2. Please use the toilet facilities before entering the pool.
3. Any person who is supervising a child 6 years and under, and anyone using the pool area must be
wearing a swimsuit.
4. NO cutoffs, street clothes, aqua socks or street shoes in the pool.
5. NO food, candy, drinks or glass containers in pool area.
6. Persons with infection, open sores, cuts, a cold, or other communicable disease will not be admitted.
7. A family restroom is available for immediate family members only. Please ask a manager to unlock
8. NO cell phone usage allowed in the locker rooms.
9. Lockers are not for overnight use.
1. Users must wait for guard’s permission before going down the slide.
2. Riders must be at least 48” tall to ride.
3. Only one person may go at a time.
4. The Water Slide must be ridden feet first lying on your back or in a sitting position.
5. Only two persons are allowed on the top platform, four on the second platform, and the others must wait in line at the bottom.
6. User must exit plunge pool promptly after entering the splash down area.
7. Swimwear must be free of all exposed metal such as rivets, buckles, snaps, zippers, and pockets must be empty.
8. Rider assumes all risk of injury due to misuse of slide and failure to follow posted rules or staff instructions.
9. No glasses, sunglasses, goggles, or other foreign objects may be worn down the slides.
10. Life jackets may NOT be worn down the slides.
11. No running up or down steps.
12. 300 lb. weight limit per person.
13. Stopping in flume is prohibited.
14. Catching at the bottom of the slide is NOT allowed.
15. Riders must face forward when going down the slide.
16. For safety reasons, pregnant women and persons with heart conditions or back trouble should not ride this slide.
1. No diving during public swim except off the diving boards.
2. NO Running on the deck. NO horseplay, including dunking, pushing, shoving, throwing, splashing,
and horseback or shoulder rides allowed.
3. Artificial swim aids and flotation devices will not be permitted. This includes lifejackets, water wings, those built into swimsuit, beach balls, and noodles.
4. For your safety, no food, alcoholic beverages, smoking, glass containers, full face goggles or any other type of glass allowed in the facility.
5. Talking to lifeguards is not permitted unless it is official business or an emergency.
6. No spitting, urinating, blowing the nose or spouting while in the pool.
7. Do not hang on the safety ropes.
8. Face pool while jumping from edge. Jumping in, backwards flips and gymnastic stunts are not allowed. Must jump in feet first.
9. Lap swimming in lap lane only. No children allowed in pool area during the morning and noon lap
10. No squirt guns allowed in pool or grass area.
11. No footballs, soccer balls, Frisbees or skateboards in pool or grass area.
12. Everyone must obey the established pool rules and any lifeguard's interpretation of these rules.
13. Disobeying these rules may lead to temporary and/or permanent suspension to the Oelwein Family Aquatic Center.
1. Children must show the ability to swim 25 yards of the front crawl in good form before being allowed to using the diving boards without direct supervision by a responsible adult (one 14 years or older.)
2. One person on the board at any one time. The next person waits on the deck until the person ahead is safely on the way to the ladder.
3. Only one bounce before a dive.
4. Dive straight off the board, swim directly to the closest ladder following a dive.
5. No swimming under the boards.
6. Potentially dangerous diving is prohibited. This includes: cartwheels, hanging from the boards, cut a ways, dropping on the buttocks, inwards dives, and any other dive the staff views as potentially
dangerous to an individual.
7. No diving from the side of the pool in the diving well.
8. No one is allowed to catch a person going off the board.
9. No items may be thrown from the boards into the pool.
Copyright © 2020 City of Oelwein - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by family friendly visions for our future.